Review: This Girl by Colleen Hoover

12:25

Title: This Girl (Slammed 3)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Date of publication: 30 April 2013
Genre: Young Adult / New Adult / Contemporary Romance


My rating: 3,5 stars





This Girl is the third and final book of the Slammed series by Colleen Hoover. I read the first two books, Slammed and Point of Retreat and enjoyed them, so it was natural to go for the grand finale of the series. I have not written reviews of Slammed and Point of Retreat, but I rated them with 3 stars on Goodreads even though I liked the first one a little bit more. 

This Girl tells the story of Will and Lake which we already know, but this time we see how things happened  from Will's POV. I was a bit worried how it would feel to read an already familiar story but ultimately I have to say I enjoyed it as much as the other two books. Still, I find it rarely justified to repeat things we already know. Ms Hoover, however, managed to pull it off by adding the whole now (honeymoon) aspect with new events and emotions.

The whole story is tightly condensed in honeymoon weekend where Will tells Lake his version of their story. I find it believable that he has not shared all his thoughts and emotions, despite the fact that they have been together for two years now. Yet, at times it seemed over the top and could not really see how they never discussed some of the issues before. 

This book is all about Will. I really liked his voice. He was the same sweet and loving guy we already know, desperately trying to do the right thing in a very though situation. At times he sounded really mature (I guess, life forced him to be this way), at other times, he was just like any other 21 year-old boy in love with a girl.

I also enjoyed the slam poetry which was strongly present in this book, in very much the same way as it was in Slammed (it is one of the things I liked best about it). It is a big part of Will's life and its presence felt natural and convincing. It was through slam poems that both Will and Lake expressed themselves best and I really liked how strong and emotional these poems were.

What I liked most in this book was the happy end which Ms Hoover gave to Will and Lake after all the loss and suffering they had to endure. The epilogue was heart-warming and it completed the story in the best possible way - with a slam poem. 

My main concern with this book remains the familiarity of the story. Reading This Girl felt like reliving the ups and downs of the characters all over again - it was bitter sweet. Still, I missed the excitement of not knowing what will happen next. 

Having said that, I would highly recommend this book to any one who has already started the series. It is  a beautiful completion of a heart-warming love story. For those who still haven't started the Slammed series, go, check it out and share what you think of it. 

And before I go I just want to mention the next series of Ms Hoover - Hopeless. I already read it and really liked it. The second one, Losing Hope (again the guy's POV, though it is not really the same story) is coming out on 9 July 2013. 

Author's links: Website / Facebook / Goodreads

I was provided with an ARC by the publisher via NetGalley. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images