Review: Second Chance Boyfriend by Monica Murphy

12:32

Title: Second Chance Boyfriend
Author: Monica Murphy
Date of publication: 6 April 2013
Genre: Contemporary Romance, New Adult


My rating: 3 stars






Goodreads Blurb

Lost. That one single word best describes my life at this very moment. I lost the last games of the season and both my team and my coach blame me. I lost the last two months because I drowned in my own despair like a complete loser. And I lost the only girl who ever mattered because I was afraid being with me would destroy her.

But now I realize how truly lost I am without her. She has become my story…and even though she acts like she’s moved on, I know she still thinks about me just as much as I think about her. She’s beautiful, sweet—and so damn vulnerable, all I want to do is help her. Be there for her.

Love her…

If only I could convince Fable to give me a second chance. Then I wouldn’t feel so lost anymore, and neither would she. We could be found together.

Forever.

My Review

In this sequel to One Week Girlfriend (OWG) where Drew and Fable must overcome their past and find a way to be together. i enjoyed this book but I have to admit that I liked the first one better. 

I liked Fable, she is still the strong, determined young woman we met in OWG. Her only weakness turns out to be Drew and her feelings for him. As for Drew, he continues the fight against his demons and his past and really puts an effort into building his relationship with Fable. Still, he comes off as a weaker character than Fable. 

I liked them as a couple though it feels like it is just sexual chemistry and not enough commitment to building a future together. Having said that, I have to admit that I loved the ending. Not to reveal any spoilers, I will just say it is a true romantic happy end. 

I find a major weakness in the book to be the supporting characters. With the exception of Fable's brother and Drew's shrink, the others fell flat and their roles are a bit unclear. Colin in a case in point, his relationship with Fable did not bring anything to the story, his role just felt bizarre and out of place. 

There are also some plot lines that were left loose. Some of Drew's issues with his past (his sister/daughter) were left unresolved. I felt that the author just skimmed over and did not really dig deeper into emotional trauma of both Fable and Drew.

Overall, Second Chance Boyfriend was a nice quick read, which completed the story of Fable and Drew, but it lacked the intensity and emotional depth of One Week Girlfriend. 

You can also read my review of One Week Girlfriend on the blog.

Author links: Website / Facebook / Goodreads / Blogger / Pinterest




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images