Review: Lover Undercover by Samanthe Beck

12:33

Title: Lover Undercover
Author: Samanthe Beck 
Date of publication: 22 April 2013
Genre: Contemporary Romance


My rating: 3 stars






Goodreads blurb

He’s undercover. She’s in over her head. Yoga instructor Kylie Roberts is the good twin. At least she was—until an accident forces Kylie to step into her twin’s sexy stilettos at a posh Hollywood “men’s club." But nothing could've prepared Kylie for the dead body in the club’s parking lot or the ridiculously hot detective who insists the killer is targeting her regulars. Detective Trevor McCade needs Kylie’s help to draw out the killer. It means long nights undercover and long dances where Kylie’s body tempts him with sensual promises. Dances that leave them both wanting more. But despite Kylie's hidden identity and the danger lurking in the shadows, it’s only a matter of time before Kylie and Trevor take this undercover operation under the covers…


My Review

It is a cute romantic read which I liked a lot. The story involves good and bad twin swapping places, two murders and one or two gorgeous cops. The development of the events is rather predictable, yet the story flows nicely and it never feels boring. 

The story is told from the point of view of the heroine, Kylie (posing as Stacey for the most part of the book). I liked her for the most part, but I got really frustrated with her when she repeatedly pushed Trevor away with the excuse that he did not really know her. I understand that she has some trust issues but she at times she brought things to the extreme. 

The hero, Trevor, was was just the perfect guy (too good to be true in real life, though)  - gorgeous and smart, super sweet and caring, never giving up on Kylie despite her hesitance. His inner thoughts made me laugh every time the author shared them with us.

I have to admit that the whole murder investigation did not seem very convincing, but this did not really bother me, since it came secondary to the romance in the book. It is mainly a romance with a touch of humour and just a little bit of mystery/suspense. 

As regards the supporting characters, I liked the girls at Deuce, they created a nice background for the action. On the other hand, I wish Stacey (the bad twin) and Ian (the second cop) were more fully built as characters. We are given just glimpses of them, especially of Ian, and this made the love that blossomed between them seem to contrived and out of the blue. 

Overall I enjoyed this book, even though I expected it to have more humour and the suspense element to be stronger. This is Ms Beck second book and after reading it I will definitely pick up her first one too, Private Practice.


I was given a copy of this book by Entangle Publishing via NetGalley.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images