Friday Favourites with three #romanceclass authors

00:00

This is a special edition of my Friday Favourites features. I have not one but three guests today, Carla de Guzman, Angel C. Aquino and Chi Yu Rodriguez, all part of  #romanceclass - is a community of Filipino authors who write romance in English, and also the readers of these books. The community holds classes (mostly free and online) to help authors finish more romance books in English. Over 80 authors have finished over 160 books so far, and the published ones are listed on site: romanceclassbooks.com. You can see a video intro about the community here: https://youtu.be/geJNHfDfk6E



Meet Carla de Guzman

1. Favorite Place
Favorite place in the world (or at the moment) is the Square Rene Vivani in Paris, next to Shakespeare and Co., across the Notre Dame. Sitting in this spot with a cup of coffee, watercolors and music would be the perfect afternoon.

2. Favorite Food and Drink
Anything from Ooma! Cupcakes by Sonja! Nono's cakes! Toby's Estate Coffee! TWG Silver Moon tea! How can you ask me this question!

3. Favorite Music/Genre/Artist/Song
I love listening to the Staves. Their harmonies are always on point, and so beautiful. But then again, I love any song on a guitar--Joni Mitchell, John Mayer, James Bay, Hozier, HAIM.

4. Favorite TV Series
I'm watching Brooklyn Nine Nine at the moment, it's the funniest, most uplifting/least offensive thing on TV right now. And I love Ru Paul's Drag Race so much, it's changed my life, henny. I keep it in the background when doing other things.

5. Favorite hobby besides writing
When I'm not writing, I paint. I love playing around with watercolor, and sometimes when the writing isn't happening, I end up with a brush in my hand making carefully controlled strokes on paper. It's theraputic, and clears my headl!

6. Favorite Books
Uhm. I shall try!
Regency Romance (my favorite genere in between new #romanceclass books): Julia Quinn's Romancing Mister Bridgerton and The Viscount Who Loved Me, Tessa Dare's the Duchess Deal is one of my ALL TIME favorites.

Contemporary Romance: Lucy Parker's Pretty Face is so witty and fun, and you just want to give both Lily and Luc huge hugs. Laura Florand's The Chocolate Kiss is super slow burn, but the Paris setting makes it fun. Alyssa Cole's A Princess in Theory is also one of my favorites!

#romanceclass books: All of them, really.

7. Latest Release
My latest release is called Chasing Mindy, a book about a pair of Filipino kids who end up in Paris, of all places. Javi and Mindy are at something of a crossroads in their lives, where they both feel a little trapped by the roles set out for them. But Paris is a wonderful place to understand who you are, and fall in love. Expect lots of food, walks along gorgeous gardens and a pair of characters you just want to smoosh together to kiss!

Chasing Mindy

Blurb

Mindy and Javier are not friends, okay.

Despite their mothers’ matchmaking, they’ve managed to stay out of each other’s way. Until Mindy goes to Paris for a week, and her mother insists she meet up with Javier. He’s in Paris to study, really looking forward to see you, she says. Watch over each other.

No thanks. Javier is taciturn and boring, Mindy is dramatic and has a tendency to yell at things when her eight siblings are brought up. It’s not a great combination.

But things start to look a little different under the Paris lights, and what felt like hate feels a lot closer to love.

Add to Goodreads / Buy on Amazon

Author Bio and Links

If you ask Carla what she does for a living, she will tell you that she’s not quite sure.
By day, she works a regular day job and writes for a lifestyle website. By night, she’s an author and an artist, spending her midnights at her desk and making these silly love stories. She loves to travel, coming home to her dog Kimchi and spending her weekends having dinner with her crazy family.
She’s currently on a quest to see as many Impressionist paintings as she can, and is always in search of the perfect pain au chocolat.



*** *** *** 

Meet Angel C. Aquino

1. Favourite place: The beach! I love the sun, sand, and sea. My top three beaches in the Philippines are Palawan, Bohol, and Balesin.

2. Favourite food and drink: Chocolate and coffee—best when mixed together!

3. Favourite music/genre/artist/song: I have a soft spot for ‘90s boy bands like The Backstreet Boys, Boyz II Men, and 98 Degrees.

4. Favourite movie/TV series: Currently obsessing over Terrace House on Netflix—I watched all the seasons!

5. Favourite hobby besides writing, if you consider writing a hobby: Running, traveling, reading, and playing with my dog, Buddy.

6. Favourite books: I love YA romance novels (everything by Stephanie Perkins, Jenny Han, and Rainbow Rowell) and fantasy series (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones). And of course, #RomanceClass books by Mina V. Esguerra (Welcome to Envy Park and the Interim Goddess of Love series are my faves), Ines Bautista-Yao (Only a Kiss, Swept Off My Feet), Carla de Guzman (If the Dress Fits), Agay Llanera (Choco Chip Hips), and more!

7. Upcoming release
Hello! I’m Angel C. Aquino and I’m about to release my first novel, Love At First Run. The story is about 23-year-old Diana, who finds love when she joins a running club and trains for a half marathon (see full blurb below).

I wrote this book as part of a #RomanceClass workshop. The story was inspired by my own love story (I met my hubby at a mountaineering club, where I had to run as part of the training) as well as my own love-hate relationship with running. I love how running strengthens my body, tests my limits, and allows me to explore interesting places on foot. But I hate how hard it can be, especially when I’m preparing for a race! Despite the challenges, I always find myself going back to running. Nothing beats the energy you get at the beginning of a race and the high you feel once you cross that finish line.

In this book, readers can expect to see a lot of sweet, romantic moments and be transported to a variety of beautiful running locations in the Philippines. Diana loves food, so there will be a lot of eating, too! As readers journey with Diana from one kilometer to the next, perhaps they might even be inspired to lace up their running shoes and go out for a run.

The book is available for pre-order on Amazon (release date: April 30). Print copies will be available for Philippine residents starting April 28. Order a copy here: https://angel633.typeform.com/to/IDfF3y

Love At First Run 


Blurb

After getting her heart broken, 23-year-old Diana Gomez is afraid to fall in love again. But when her office crush Paul invites her to join a running club with him, she goes for it.

What she doesn’t know is that to be a part of the club, she actually has to train for a half marathon—and that she’ll meet Joshua, the handsome club veteran who becomes her unofficial running buddy.

As if it isn’t hard enough to do speed work, interval training, and long runs after work and on weekends, she has to deal with her feelings for both boys and face her fears of falling in love.

Will she reach the finish line without getting herself (or her heart) injured? Journey with Diana as she reaches running milestones, overcomes obstacles, pushes herself to the limit, and discovers the strength within her… one kilometer at a time.

Author Bio and Links 

Angel C. Aquino is a freelance writer, editor, and content creator based in Manila. She believes she can make her tiny corner of the world just a little bit brighter by writing stories filled with positivity, hope, and love. Love At First Run is her first novel.

Website / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / Book Hashtag: #LoveAtFirstRunBook

*** *** ***

Meet Chi Yu Rodriguez 

1. Favourite place
My Bedroom. I practically live in it since I work from home, but it’s my favorite because it’s mine. Having my own space is so important for my well-being.

2. Favourite food and drink
I love food in general but aside from Filipino food, Korean food is straight-up comfort food. As for drinks, I’m a coffee or wine drinker.

3. Favourite music/genre/artist/song
I’ve been listening to Korean Pop for over a decade. Yes, I’m one of the people. 😉

4. Favourite movie/TV series
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind will always be a favorite, White Oleander too, and 50 First Datess. As for TV series, I’m a big fan of procedurals like CSI, Criminal Minds, Grimm. I also like a lot of Korean Dramas and of course, Rupaul’s Drag Race!

5. Favourite hobby besides writing, if you consider writing a hobby
I love to drive around alone. Is that a hobby? If not, then it should probably be Photography.

6. Favourite books 
Newly-released and still steaming: Start Here from various #romanceclass authors. It’s awesome!

7. Upcoming release
Love: And Other Questionable Life Choices, is going to be released for the first time on #AprilFeelsDay2018. It’s a collection of three short stories, two of which have ties in my previous books (The Art of Shifting Gears and The Bye-Bye Bouquet). And the third story may or may not be connected to a future book.

Readers can expect some fun, a lot of flirting, and good old self-acceptance. I just want them to get to know these characters more and relate to them on a deeper level. Here’s to hoping I achieve that.


Blurb

Rae and JR choose to begin, taking that final step into something new.

Rachel and Geoffrey choose to give in, claiming what they've always wanted and running with it.

Punky and Jazz choose to accept, acknowledging that they’re different and that's okay.

Some choices leave a small imprint in our lives, a little push, a little nudge. While some... can turn our worlds upside down.

Where will their choices take them?

Add on Goodreads / Buy on Amazon


The Art of Shifting Gears - Add to Goodreads / Buy on Amazon

The Bye-Bye Bouquet - Add on Goodreads / Buy on Amazon


Author Links: Website / Goodreads


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images