Review: Love Hacked by Penny Reid

00:00

Title: Love Hacked: A Reluctant Romance (Knitting in the City #3)
Author: Penny Reid
Date of publication: 11 March 2014
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Author's links:

My rating: 5 stars



Synopsis

There are three things you need to know about Sandra Fielding: 1) She makes all her first dates cry, 2) She hasn't been kissed in over two years, and 3) She knows how to knit.

Sandra has difficulty removing her psychotherapist hat. Of her last 30 dates, 29 have ended the same way: the man sobbing uncontrollably. After one such disaster, Sandra--near desperation and maybe a little tipsy--gives in to a seemingly harmless encounter with her hot waiter, Alex. Argumentative, secretive, and hostile Alex may be the opposite of everything Sandra knows is right for her. But now, the girl who has spent all her life helping others change for the better, must find a way to cope with falling for someone who refuses to change at all.

Review

I absolutely loved this installment of the Knitting in the City series. It's the sexiest and the smartest story so far.

Both main characters, Sandra and Alex were just wonderful. Sandra is a shrink and from what we saw of her in the previous books she seemed well-adjusted and in control of her life but as can be expected she has her issues and peculiarities as everybody else.

I liked a lot of things about Sandra - her very fine sense of humour, her selflessness and desire to help others. Still, it was Alex who stole the show for me. He is my favourite type of hero - awkward, honest, direct and open minded, strong and sexy, ready to do anything for the woman he loves. I am seriously thinking that he is even hotter than Quinn and Nico (How is that possible I can't even fathom?) He is a wonderfully complex character - there is a lot of dynamics and development of his character. The dichotomy in his nature made him simply irresistible. He seemed shy and boyish one moment and alpha, possessive and in complete control - the next. I found his back story really convincing and authentic justification for his conflicting nature. 

I am not usually a fan of older woman-younger man couples  but this worked really well. Both characters were so unique that their age difference really didn't matter. Alex and Sandra's were great fun as a couple. They complemented each other perfectly, though initially they seemed all wrong for each other. It was easy for me to relate to Sandra - her search for a life partner, her fears and hesitancy, yet in the end she listens to her heart and takes a leap of faith.

I enjoyed the mystery/thriller element in this story as well. It didn't overtake the romance but kept the plot and story going on.

The knitting club ladies were amazing and fun, as usual, the reader is already getting a clearer picture of each one of them. I appreciate all the little details about them that Ms Reid adds with each new book in the series.

I was very happy about the return of Quinn (NSH) in this story. We get to see just a few glimpses, but they show a different side of him and it was fun to see him like that.

The book is written the typical hilarious style of Ms Reid - full of made up words and random facts which kept me entertained and smiling throughout the whole time I was reading the book. I love how Ms Reid tells a complex story with some serious issues being involved, in a light, funny manner without excessive drama and suffering.

The next book in the series tells Ashley's story an is to be released some time this summer. Now, I know that Ms Reid has used Jax Teller (Sons of Anarchy TV series) as her inspiration for Ashley's man, and as a huge SOA fan, I can't tell you how happy and excited this makes me :)

My reviews of Ms Reid's other books:
Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City #1)
Friends Without Benefits  (Knitting in the City #2)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images