Review: Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh

05:05

Title: Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1)
Author: Nalini Singh
Date of publication: 5 Sept 2006
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Shapeshifters

Author's links:
Website / Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads

My rating: 4 stars




Synopsis

In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them would be to sentence herself to the horror of “rehabilitation”—the complete psychic erasure of everything she ever was…

Both human and animal, Lucas Hunter is a Changeling hungry for the very sensations the Psy disdain. After centuries of uneasy coexistence, these two races are now on the verge of war over the brutal murders of several Changeling women. Lucas is determined to find the Psy killer who butchered his packmate, and Sascha is his ticket into their closely guarded society. But he soon discovers that this ice-cold Psy is very capable of passion—and that the animal in him is fascinated by her. Caught between their conflicting worlds, Lucas and Sascha must remain bound to their identities—or sacrifice everything for a taste of darkest temptation

Review

I have been hearing great things about The Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh but so far I have been reluctant to start it, since I'm not a big paranormal fan plus the fact that there are 12 books already published in this series was quite intimidating. I finally decided to give it a try - new year, new adventures, and I am so glad I did. It's my first shapeshifters book and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Lucas Hunter, a panther shifter worked really well for me and I even don't like cats that much :) He is just the perfect Alpha - protective and possessive without being domineering. The instalove/lust he feels for Sascha would have bothered me in a contemporary romance but in the paranormal world of Psy and Changelings it felt natural. 

My fascination with Lucas is pretty understandable. Who doesn't like a smart, sexy hero? What I didn't expect was to like Sascha as much as I did. She was strong and independent and Lucas' equal in every aspect. I find the world of the Psy is really fascinating. As this is the first book in the series it lays the foundations for further development of the supernatural world of these stories. 

The changelings are easier to understand and relate to - they are mixture of man and animal, taking the best characteristics of both species. The Psy are entirely different - the super powers, the mind games they play are very intriguing. I can;t wait to meet more of them and learn more about their different abilities.

The romance was wonderful and the thriller/mystery element was engaging as well. The whole world of Psy and Changeling was very elaborate and vividly presented. 

I will be continuing with this series, trying to read a book or two of them a month. I've already finished the next one, Visions of Heat, which I loved even more, and I'll be posting my mini review soon.

In the meantime, Ms Singh just released a novella in this series, Whisper of Sin, which features Lucas' human assistant Ria and the leopard soldier Emmett. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I was a little hesitant about the series as well, but it has become one of my favorites. Nalini Singh isn't afraid to do something different and I am always supportive of that. My favorite of the series is Caressed by Ice (book #3). Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images