Review: The Mistake by Elle Kennedy

00:00

Title: The Mistake (Off Campus #2)
Author: Elle Kennedy
Genre: New Adult, Romance, College
Release Date: 28 April 2015

Author's links:

Add on Goodreads

My rating: 4 Stars


Synopsis



He’s a player in more ways than one…

College junior John Logan can get any girl he wants. For this hockey star, life is a parade of parties and hook-ups, but behind his killer grins and easygoing charm, he hides growing despair about the dead-end road he’ll be forced to walk after graduation. A sexy encounter with freshman Grace Ivers is just the distraction he needs, but when a thoughtless mistake pushes her away, Logan plans to spend his final year proving to her that he’s worth a second chance.

Now he’s going to need to up his game…

After a less than stellar freshman year, Grace is back at Briar University, older, wiser, and so over the arrogant hockey player she nearly handed her V-card to. She’s not a charity case, and she’s not the quiet butterfly she was when they first hooked up. If Logan expects her to roll over and beg like all his other puck bunnies, he can think again. He wants her back? He’ll have to work for it. This time around, she’ll be the one in the driver’s seat…and she plans on driving him wild.

Review


I loved the first book in this series, The Deal (my review), it was such an easy and refreshingly funny and sexy NA romance. I quite liked Logan whom we met there and who is the hero here. I was looking forward to his story and had very high expectations. The Mistake turned out to be a nice, entertaining read but little things here and there annoyed me and it ended a 3.5-star read for me.

I absolutely loved Logan, him having feelings for best friend's girl, hurting a nice girl he was actually falling for then trying to win her back - it all felt very natural and made an amusing college story. The mistakes and enthusiasm of youth can aptly describe many of the actions of the characters.

I was curious how the author will resolve the issue with Logan's feeling for Hannah. It was a tricky situation for all parties involved and I think Ms Kennedy handled in an unexpected, yet perfectly fitting way. It's one of the best elements of the story for me.

On the negative side, I was not a big fan of Logan's family story was developed. The issue of alcoholism and how it affects the whole family was realistically treated and very moving. Yet, even though Logan's decision to sacrifice his dreams may be understandable given his situation but I feel he acted stubborn and stupid about it. The resolution of the situation with his dad felt too neat to be realistic.

Grace was an interesting character, both sweet and somewhat shy and at the same time, no doormat. She was strong and I liked the open and honest relationship she had with her parents. Her list of tasks for Logan was such fun to read, I absolutely enjoyed it. 

Still, I feel this was very much Logan's story. There was more character development with him, he completely overshadowed Grace at times. The grand gesture at the end was a bit over-the-top for me but I guess it could work in college and it was definitely Logan's style, though I made Grace seem too high-maintenance.

I liked the humour, the fun and sexy times, though I have to admit that I found the way college life was portrayed a bit shallow and all to typical of NA romances - endless parties and hook-ups, sports games, very few real friendships and love relationships. 

I believe fans of NA romance and those who enjoyed The Deal will like this book. Recommended read!

Purchase links: Kindle / Nook / Kobo / iBooks

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images