Mini Review: Seeking Her by Cora Carmack

04:42

I'm starting a new section on the blog - Mini reviews. Here I'll publish my shorter reviews, usually of novellas and short stories, but sometimes also of full-length novels. Until now I posted these reviews only on Goodreads but I've decided to share them on the blog as well.

Title: Seeking Her (Losing It 3.5)
Author: Cora Carmack
Date of publication: 28 Jan 2014
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Novella

Author's links: 

My rating: 2 stars




Goodreads Blurb

A few months after being honorably discharged from the military, Jackson Hunt is still struggling to adjust back to the real world. He needs to get a job and find a sense of normalcy if he’s going to keep his own demons at bay. The job that falls into his lap, though, is anything but normal. 

Bodyguard (and baby-sitter) to spoiled-rich-girl Kelsey Summers isn’t exactly what he’d been looking for, but it’s a chance to travel, to get away from the home that has felt stifling ever since his return. It would be a pretty sweet gig if it weren’t for the fact that Kelsey’s father doesn’t want Kelsey to know she’s being followed. Hunt feels guilty (and a little bit creepy) as he watches her from afar. She’s vibrant and infuriating, exciting and reckless, mysterious and familiar. When he sees her falling into the same patterns that he suffered years ago, he decides it’s time to stop watching and help her instead. But getting to know her is more difficult than he thought, especially because the more he knows her, the more he wants her.

My Mini Review

Finding It was my least favourite book in Lost It series. I couldn't really connect with Kelsey but if there was one thing I liked in it, it was Jackson Hunt. We didn't get to learn much about him or his background in Finding It, so I was excited to read his story in this novella. 

Sadly, I was disappointed. We do learn more about him, but I felt the reader's attention was focused again on Kelsey. This book is a prequel to Finding It and it tells of the events that happen form the moment Hunts starts following Kelsey up to the point they meet in he beginning of Finding It. 

The story is told from Hunt's POV and reveals his emotions, still it was centered on Kelsey and the things she did. The problem was that there was nothing new as regards to her, nothing that we already didn't expect after reading her story. 

Overall, I didn't see the point of having Hunt's story told in a separate book. It would have worked better if his POV and back story were included in a couple of chapters in Kelsey's book.

My reviews of other books in this series:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've never read anything about Cora Carmack, but I've always heard good things about the first instalment (I see from your past review that you did enjoy that one, too). Too bad the novella didn't work well for you :( Hope it's just an episode and you'll have a blast with the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved most of all her first book, Losing It, mainly because the heroine was socially awkward in the cute way and the hero was British and her professor. Ms Carmack is starting new college series soon and I may give it a try as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images