Review: Dangerous Curves Ahead by Sugar Jamison

12:28

Title: Dangerous Curves Ahead (A Perfect Fit #1)
Author: Sugar Jamison
Date of publication: 27 August 2013
Genre: Contemporary Romance


Author's links:
Website / Goodreads

My rating: 2.5 stars


Goodreads blurb

Ellis Garrett is dumping her critical boyfriend, opening a plus-size clothing store, and starting a blog - all to spread the word that fashion shouldn’t require a size-two body, and happiness should allow for the occasional cupcake. Or two. But is indulging fantasies about her sister’s long-ago ex, the still-hunky Michael Edwards, biting off more than she can chew.

Mike must be losing his detective’s touch. He doesn’t recognize Ellis when he bumps into her at Size Me Up, and he certainly doesn’t remember his ex-girlfriend’s outspoken sister being so irresistible. Her curves are indeed dangerous—and so is her wit. Could it be that Ellis is his Perfect Fit? One thing’s for sure: Mike will make it his sworn duty to find out…


My Review 

It was a nice read but I expected more of it. I was drawn to it by the premise of an overweight woman finding her place in life and love. I expected it to be funny but it offered just a witty remarks and too few laughs.

I expected to like Ellis but her but her fixation with her body image and her inability to trust Mike were repeated too often and got boring. She had too much drama in her life, too much to be realistic. I felt like the author tried to include everything - family issues, boy trouble, career change/choice, work problems, food and boy image issues. 

Mike was likeable but he had a tendency to overthink things. Both Ellis and Mike acted rather immature most of the time. There were some weird conversations between them and some of the love scene felt awkward to me. 

Too many things were happening with all the characters (and there were many character involved) and some events were just skimmed through without being developed in depth. I feel that some plot lines didn't really add to the story and could have been cut out, while others were significant but were not fully developed. 

Having said that, I liked the relationships of both Mike and Ellis with their families. Even though Mike's reconnection with his father was a bit over the top and far fetched it fitted well into the story. I also didn't appreciate much Ellis's sister and her role in the story as a whole. 

There were some pretty unbelievable situations necessary to take the story ahead - Mike not remembering Ellis, then her sister not recognising him. Neither of them had undergone a dramatic change of appearance and it all felt unrealistic. There are often such fantasy or wishful-thinking moments in romance book and I an OK with them, even like them, when they work. Unfortunately, they didn't work for me in this book. 

There were some editing errors and I was annoyed that the hero referred to the heroine by different names - Ellis, Elle, Ellie. I found this distracting and it further prevented me from enjoying this story more.

I think that this book has great potential and with some streamlining of the plot and better editing, it could be a much better read. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images