Review: Geek with the Cat Tattoo by Theresa Weir

12:21

Title: Geek with the Cat Tattoo (Cool Cats #2)
Author: Theresa Weir
Date of publication: 20 Dec 2013
Genre: Contemporary Romance, New Adult, Comedy

Author's links:
Website / Facebook / Goodreads

My rating: 3.5 stars



Goodreads Blurb

This book will make you laugh out loud, sigh, hug your cat, then hug your boyfriend.
*
Recipe for love and laughter:
*
Mix together a story told partially from a quirky, bad-boy cat's point-of-view, one shy, super sweet nerd who builds musical instruments, and one adorable violinist who's afraid to fall in love. Stir in a cat tattoo, a little danger, wry observations and truths about love, a romance in the truest sense of the word, some laugh-out-loud humor, a great in-joke about John Cusack in Say Anything, and you have Geek with the Cat Tattoo. 
*
Basic plot: 
Shy music geek Emerson Foshay breaks into a cold sweat and is rendered speechless whenever Lola Brown, the girl of his dreams, steps into his guitar shop. But once a stray cat named Sam follows him home, everything changes and Emerson becomes the coolest guy in town.



My Review

I picked this book because I was intrigued by the blurb and the promise of a cat's POV. What I got was Sam, a rather special cat with extraordinary abilities to plant thoughts in the minds of his owner. I have to admit it was a little scary at points but overall I really enjoyed his voice.

I liked the writing style of Ms Weir very much. It was succinct just hinting at things and leaving the rest to the reader's imagination. Despite the multiple POVs the story flow was smooth and evenly paced. There wasn't too much drama, just deep emotions represented with compassion and understanding and a touch of humour. 

I appreciate the ingenuity of the idea of writing from a cat's perspective bu I can't vouch for its authenticity since I am not much of a cat person. I liked both main characters, Emerson and Lola, and Sam, of course has a special place in their love story. I found the cat's telepathic abilities a bit scary (if you take them seriously), but thankfully this element didn't overtake the story. The focus remained on Emerson and Lola and their attempts to connect with each other. The romance element was strong and touching without being cheesy. Ultimately, it was a story of two young people, both artists, finding their soulmate with just a teeny tiny help of a very special cat. 

I have a soft spot for socially awkward characters and Emerson was just adorable. There is something really cute in guy when he is so smitten by a girl that he cannot think/talk straight when he is around her. He was intimidated by what he saw as Lola's perfection, but in reality her past experience has also made her insecure, even shy. 

I expected the story to have more LOL moments with the cat acting as a matchmaker, but it turned out to be more realistic and serious. Overall, it is a sweet feel-good and a bit whimsical romance which I greatly enjoyed and can recommend to anyone looking for a quick fluffy read. 

I received a copy of this book by the author via the New Adult Book Club on Goodreads. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images