Review: All the Feels by Olivia Dade

01:47

Title: All the Feels (Spoiler Alert #2)
Author: Olivia Dade
Genre / Themes: Contemporary romance, Hollywood actors
Release date: 26 Oct 2021
Author's links: Website / Twitter / Goodreads

My rating: 3 Stars


Blurb 

Following Spoiler Alert, Olivia Dade returns with another utterly charming romantic comedy about a devil-may-care actor—who actually cares more than anyone knows—and the no-nonsense woman hired to keep him in line.

Alexander Woodroe has it all. Charm. Sex appeal. Wealth. Fame. A starring role as Cupid on TV’s biggest show, God of the Gates. But the showrunners have wrecked his character, he’s dogged by old demons, and his post-show future remains uncertain. When all that reckless emotion explodes into a bar fight, the tabloids and public agree: his star is falling.

Enter Lauren Clegg, the former ER therapist hired to keep him in line. Compared to her previous work, watching over handsome but impulsive Alex shouldn’t be especially difficult. But the more time they spend together, the harder it gets to keep her professional remove and her heart intact, especially when she discovers the reasons behind his recklessness…not to mention his Cupid fanfiction habit.

When another scandal lands Alex in major hot water and costs Lauren her job, she’ll have to choose between protecting him and offering him what he really wants—her. But he’s determined to keep his improbably short, impossibly stubborn, and extremely endearing minder in his life any way he can. And on a road trip up the California coast together, he intends to show her exactly what a falling star will do to catch the woman he loves: anything at all.

Review

I have complicated feelings about this book. I generally like Olivia Dade's writing and sense of humour that comes through in her books. I haven't read the first in this series and went in not knowing anything about the characters.

I have to admit the first half was rather difficult for me, I was close to giving up in the middle but then the story turned around and I really enjoyed the second half.

I was not sold on either of the MCs initially though Alex was the real thorn in my side. I could see how he was under immense pressure, how his ADHD really complicated things for him, how sarcasm was his modus operandi, yet none of this could excuse the way he treated Lauren initially. He was rude and dismissive, consistently presented both her physical appearance and character in negative terms.

She was closed off, distanced from everything and everyone, completely burnt out because of her previous job. She came off as bland and boring but it made sense to me and his attitude to her felt even worse considering how caring and good-natured he was in fact. 

Once their relationship turned into romance things changed completely for me. It was tender, sensual, fun. We see them both dealing with their baggage, giving on the feeling of guilt they carry over things from their, reaching with both hands for the love they finally feel worthy of. 

Yes, there is a third-act break up and dark moment that was very dark but they got through it (with some outside help, I loved seeing the support systems they had and trust). I loved how they finally got to be completely honest with each other and opened themselves to possible rejection in order to find a way to make things between them work in the long term.

On the negative side, on top of my issues with the MCs in the first half, there are also a couple of thier little things here and there that annoyed me. There is a fanfiction element which I, someone who is not very knowledgeable of fandom/fanficiton, found weird and in my opinion was not necessary and didn't add much to the story. I found the stalking incidents to be cliched and trite, only serving to show Alex was a good person which was not necessary at all, we have already seen this on numerous occasions. They revealed a violent, incontrollable aspect of his temper which I considered worrisome. I wish there had been more focus on him getting help for these issues, rather than him becoming calmer and more stable thanks to his relationship with Lauren. 

Overall, I didn't like the first part but I am glad that persevered and finished the book. It made me angry and happy and it made me think over different issues it explores and I am grateful for this. 

CW: hero with ADHD, fatphobia, insults on physical appearance, unsupportive families, domestic violence (side character, in the past), actor stalking


Add to Goodreads / Buy on Amazon






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images